splitting our list

Allen Leigh a-leigh@risky.wcslc.edu
Fri, 04 Aug 1995 23:12:05 -0600

As one who has advocated splitting the list, I thought I'd share my
feelings about it.

Several people have expressed concerning about having expert/beginners
lists and deciding which list to post questions to.  I don't think that
problem would occur if we had two lists.  I think that people would choose
one list (some would choose both lists)as their "internet home" and would
hangout there.DD     Because that list was their "home" they would post to it.
Hopefully, people would choose the list at which they felt comfortable,
and I expect that would create pseudo expert/beginners lists or something
akin to it.  I don't know how other beginning tuners feel about this list,
but as I read all of the mail that is way above me, I don't feel
comfortable posting "novice" questions, especially after the remarks made
last week that "beginners" weren't wanted (I don't remember the exact
words that were used, but that is how it came across to me).  The type of
list that I would enjoy is one open to all, RPT, beginners like me,
music people, anyone with an interest in the technical side to pianos.
I would enjoy a list in which I felt comfortable posting "dumb" questions,
a list in which those more experienced would happily serve as mentors to
us, and one in which we could begin to be mentors to those with less
experience than us.  So far with this list, the response to the few
"novice" questions that have been posted have been very brief, almost
as if they had to give a symbolic response to get rid of us so they
could get back to more important discussions.  I've been involved with
electronic discussions for the past 20 years, and I realize that this
type of communication makes it difficult to express feelings.  My
experience during that 20 years has been that it is nice to have an
"internet home" where we can hang out, and I hope that, whether we
keep one list or split it, we can have a piano list that welcomes all
and makes them feel welcome.

I hope these remarks haven't stepped on any toes, and I'm not implying
anything about anybody.  I'm just experessing my feelings that this
list isn't friendly to novices.  And, that's ok as long asf we
newcomers can have one that is friendly.

Anyway, my 2 cents.....

/Allen Leigh
a-leigh@risky.wcslc.edu

I guess the reason I'm in favor of starting a second list is that I
realize it is hard to mix people of such varied experience levels and
make it a place that is comfortable for everyone.  I'm sure that the
type of list I would enjoy is one that many of you wouldn't enjoy
because your needs are different.