List splitting

Israel Stein istein@world.std.com
Fri, 04 Aug 1995 19:20:50 +0059 (EDT)

On Fri, 4 Aug 1995, John Musselwhite wrote:

> I _really_ like the idea of having two lists - one for PTG members only and
> another which would be open to anyone interested in the piano. I'd certainly
> like to see a list where Guild matters can be discussed with more privacy
> than this list provides.

There already is a discussion site for all those who are interested in
the piano. It is the newsgroup rec.music.makers.piano. It is not limited
to technical matters, but plenty of technically oriented discussion -
with comments from technicians (some of whom are also seen on this list)
- takes place from time to time. A mailing list open to the public will
just be unnecessary duplication of what occurs in the newsgroup.

As far as PTG business is concerned - well, our Boston Chapter meetings
have always been open to the public and we have never shied away from
discussing the most controversial PTG issues in front of strangers. I
don't think the PTG does anything that requires privacy. In any case,
anything posted in a "PTG only" list can always be forwarded
elsewhere, (and surely will be if something terribly controversial comes
up) so any "privacy" is an illusion. If you want privacy, use
Uncle Sam's snail mail (or whatever the Canadian version is called). Or a
non-cordless non-cellular telephone.

IMHO I still haven't seen any good reason for splitting the list other
than volume limitations. Or possibly the desire of university technicians to
have one strictly for themselves.

Israel Stein