Friction

Dan Squire djs08201@Jetson.UH.EDU
Fri, 04 Aug 1995 12:57:29 -0500 (CDT)

An individual wrote:
>It's important, however, to remember that laws which
>apply to a brick on a table may not be the same laws which govern a
>complex and dynamic scenario such as a piano action in motion. To assume
>that they do seems incredibly naive to me.

Do the laws of nature change from one system to another?  Can understanding
how a brick slides on a table provide insight on how music wire will side
over its termination points?  Can it provide insight on all points of
friction within the piano?  Assuming that the piano is such a "complex and
dynamic" structure where would be a better place to start the process of
understanding?  Yes, you can call me naive if you wish, but I will still
strive to understand the beautiful dynamics of the piano.

Respectfully,
Dan Squire
University of Houston

Nature first made things in her own way, and then made human reason skillful
enough to be able to understand some of her secrets, but only by hard work.
                                          - Galileo Galilei