Mute strip on shallow strings

phillip c sloffer psloffer@indiana.edu
Tue, 01 Aug 1995 05:43:10 -0500 (EST)

Hi all

I stopped using strip mutes about ten or twelve years ago.  I just use one
or two rubber mutes all the time.  In the treble section on uprights I use
a 1/4 dowel stick which has one end carved flat to fit between the strings.
It is about 6 or 7 inches long and has a couple tuning pins taped on the
end to give it some weight as well as provide a handle of sorts.

On Fri, 28 Jul 1995 LSCHULTZ2@aol.com wrote:

> One of the instruments I face next week is a console with an extremely short
> distance between the strings and the plate, making it difficult (if not
> impossible) to keep the mute strip in.
>
> Grateful for any suggestions or ideas. . .
>
> Another apprentice question from. . .an apprentice.
>

> Lloyd

Later,
-Phil

+  Phil Sloffer         +