Soundboard woes

Rick.Florence@asu.edu Rick.Florence@asu.edu
Mon, 24 Oct 1994 11:06:10 -0700

Does anyone out there have experience with CA glues and minor soundboard cracks?

I have a customer with a number of small, hairline cracks forming in her
piano's board.  They have not opened up and I have installed a Dampchaser
system hoping to stop any further damage.  It's been about a year now with
no further damage and I anticipate her asking me to fix the cracks (I told
her to wait a year and see how the piano would react with the Dampchaser
installed).

This is a beautiful 6'9" Schimmel.  Everything else about the board is
great (crown, downbearing, decay time, cosmetics).  I'm quite sure that I
don't want to tear this thing apart for the sake of a few small cracks.
She, however wants them fixed.

I have heard talk of people having good results with CA glues.  If anyone
has tried, please send me a note.  Does it stop the cracking?  Will I be
able to flow it into the cracks without refinishing? Etc. Etc.

Thanks!

----
Rick Florence, Piano Technician
 Arizona State University School of Music
 Internet: Rick.Florence@ASU.Edu
 Phone (602)965-6760
 Fax (602)965-2659