Bleuthner, history of piano tuners/technicians

PSLOANE@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU PSLOANE@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU
Mon, 24 Oct 1994 10:53:43 -0400 (EDT)

Ron

In regard to the Bleuthner you are contemplating rebuilding:

I have worked on a few Bleuthners and have enjoyed their unique approach to
building a contemporary piano. Both were turn of the century instruments, as
I recall, and incorporated the 'aliquot scale" (I believe that is what it is
called) into their acoustic system. For those of you who have no idea what
I am talking about -- and I assume that your Bleuthner, Ron, has an aliquot
scale -- it is a series of strings  not struck by the hammer yet attached to
the bridge that vibrate sympathetically when excited by the vibrations of the
acoustic structure of the piano. They are separate strings, each having its
own tuning pin, and are meant to be tuned along with the other strings in the
piano.

As far as production status of the piano, I saw a syndicated article in the
Arts section of some paper a few years ago (I should have saved it but did
not), that outlined the recent attempts by some individual to market the
Bleuthner in this country. It is an East German Piano, made in Leipzig, and
had been in production throughout the "cold war" period. With the toppling
of "the wall", better access to material and new markets encouraged increased
production, apparently using all the old scales, jigs, procedures, etc. I'm
certain you could open up some sort of dialogue with the factory.

As far as the single stringing, I agree with Dennis at St. Olaf (did I get
those names right??), It's really not that time consuming once you get the
hang of making the rear loop. If your hands are not ready to take on the
task and you haven't fashioned some sort of jig already, the Cleveland
Chapter made a whole bunch of jigs for that particular purpose that we
used to sell at State Conferences. I think there is a couple hundred sitting
in someone's garage somewhere, one of which I could probably unearth for you.

Cheers!

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory

PS -- Glad we're talking pianos again