Climate-control temperature FX

Michael Wathen 556-9565 Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
Wed, 30 Nov 1994 14:30:00 -0500 (EST)

My experience is that the strings return to their original
tension just as quickly and that it will not effect the overall
tuning unless the harp has had enough time to contract.  I would
imagine that it would take several hours for that to happen.  I
would always walk away from a tuning in the situation you
described and return to finish my work when the temperature had
stabilized.  That's about all you can do.  If it doesn't work out
that you have a window of opportunity like that then its their
tough luck.

The expert on this subject is Jim Ellis.  I has done controlled
scientific experiments using a rather elaborate monochord.  I
have seen his class twice and in my opinion it is one of the
better classes.

Michael Wathen
Southwest Ohio