Climate-control temperature FX

PSLOANE@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU PSLOANE@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU
Tue, 29 Nov 1994 22:22:35 -0400 (EDT)

RE: Tuning Drift and The Aural Tuner (Ya get my drift???)

Joking aside, when I'm done a piano that I suspect may have drifted (for what-
ever reasons), I quickly reference middle C to my fork and reference all other
C's to it, using appropriate checks to assure accuracy.This in and of itself
gives a quick check as to how the different sections of the piano may have
drifted, one to the other, and takes all of maybe 15 seconds. If I want to be
more thorough, I'll take another 30 seconds or so and play contiguous thirds
in the C below middle C to middle C octave and then compare the speeds of
those thirds to tenths and seventeenths constructed from notes of those thirds
with notes out of the octave. This gives me even more information about drift
in the tuning. At that point, depending on the nature of the use of the piano,
I'll retune and compensate for the drift, clean it up and leave it where it is,
schedule time for another tuning, etc.

Aside from piano talk, hope everybody had a nice Thanksgiving. The network has
been a real success story as far as I'm concerned. Participation and quality
of responses has far exceeded my expectations. Let's (collectively) keep up
the good work.

Aurally Yours, Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory

PS I think I have resisted buying an AccuTuner because I basically am very
traditional in my approach to my profession and I'm basically very cheap.