Pianos that Die

Michael Wathen 556-9565 Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
Wed, 23 Nov 1994 15:22:00 -0500 (EST)

Here is a new topic.  It will be most familiar with college and
university technicians because they service the same instruments
over and over again in a concert or recital situation.  Also, we
can consider good quality grands in such places as teaching
studios.

Harold Conklin says pianos just die a slow death.  A piano will
live in its optimum status (excellent concert quality)
for a relatively short time.  This why Steinway Concert Artist
pianos remain on the circuit for average of three years.  Here in
Cincinnati Baldwin maintains a similar situation at Music Hall.

I think he is right.  I have watched a number of pianos slowly
fade away never to return to their former heights.  Many measures
are applied but their youthful vigor remains elusive.  Its all
makes of pianos.  The instruments will live on for years as fine
instruments but not great instruments.

Conklin says that the stresses in a piano are enormous and that
the requirements for their superb functioning is such that if
even one perimeter (such as a glue joint failure) fails the
instrument slips a notch or two.  The type of glue failure that
we are referring to here is not detectable with the naked eye.
Any loss of contact like this means an energy loss.

A couple of weeks ago at Music Hall we had the back leg of a nine
foot Baldwin dislodge itself on stage during intermission with
nearly a full house.  The Piano landed on its rear and the lid
split into two parts.  When I checked it out the next day only a
few unisons had gone out and there was no other sign of Damage.
However, its probably the beginning of the end for this piano.

Michael Wathen
Cincinnati