copyright (was capo bar noises)

Israel Stein istein@world.std.com
Thu, 17 Nov 1994 22:39:58 +0001 (EST)

>From my knowledge of copyright law (back in the days when I was a
commercial photographer) it seems that a copyright must be registered
before a work is published in order to preserve author's
rights." Published" can mean " publicly
disseminated by whatever means." Once something is published without a
registered copyright, it becomes public domain and can no longer be
copyrighted. Since, presumably, none of the authors of articles posted on
the 'net have registered copyrights on them (and in any case none have
been identified as copyrighted, which is another requirement to preserve
rights) they are probably public domain - posting to a newsgroup or
mailing list probably qualifies as "publication". So in all probability
 permission isn't necessary to use these articles elsewhere.

Israel Stein