diatribe -Reply

Bill Spurlock, RPT 74077.3053@compuserve.com
Thu, 17 Nov 1994 11:51:22 -0500 (EST)

I'll try to respond to Ron Torella's questions of 11-16-94:

>I saw a PTG ad for the *very* first time in the November/December 1994
issue of _Piano&Keyboard

We've run this and other ads in teacher publications for years. They are
intended to support the individual members' display of the RPT logo on their
business cards, etc. by giving piano owners an advance look at the logo and
term, RPT.

>There are many technicians (RTPs) who *never* tested
>because the tests didn't exist.  Since the bylaws do not list exemptions,
>when will the Board either put in a grandfather clause or inform those who
>haven't tested that they must do so or face demotion to Associate level?

The Board has no authority to change the bylaws, only Council can do that
through a 2/3 vote. My take on the question of retesting those who haven't taken
the current exam is that members realize we barely have the volunteer resources
to adequately examine Associates, let alone to re-test older members. Also,
according to the member needs survey, 64% of RPTs answered NO to the question,
"Do you believe RPTs should be required to re-certify periodically," Testing
capacity aside, RPTs apparently don't want to be retested. My personal opinion
is that given our very limited volunteer resources, our current testing program
is about all we can manage, and any additional energy needs to go into making it
operate the way it was intended i.e., we have chapters giving the wrong exam
versions, using the wrong exam apparatus, too few examiners carrying the load,
etc.

>Finally, what about the Associate member who has no desire to be a voting
member, hold office locally, regionally, or nationally, serve on committees, and
doesn't find it necessary to verbally
>advertise the status of their membership in the guild?

Apathy is a problem throughout the organization, in RPTs as well as Associates.
In any organization there are the doers and the takers. The best we can do is
show by example the personal benefits of full participation, then accept that
not everyone will carry their load. They don't do so in society at large, so we
should be realistic and expect some apathy in PTG.

>The Guild doesn't
>appear to be poised to run non-members and/or Associates out of the
>business, so what incentive is there for an Associate or non-member to
>become an RPT?

Antitrust laws prevent us from running anyone out of business. And why would we
want to, when we claim to be in support of the piano industry and piano service?
As for incentive to upgrade, the reasons are the same as they have always been:
personal pride, desire for achievement, peer pressure, additional member
benefits. Incentive exists -two years ago 40% of Associates had taken at least
one of our exams, exam study guides are selling well (and making a difference in
exam results), and exam slots at the past two annual conventions were filled
beyond capacity.

The chapter environment is crucial. Here is how we support incentive in our
chapter: We make the expectation of upgrading clear from the very beginning,
pointing out the Associate's responsibilities to PTG's goals and resources
available from PTG to help. We do this in a welcoming and supportive manner. We
do NOT give them the message that they are resented, that we don't think they
should advertise, and that we feel they are invading our turf. On the contrary,
many of our most vital chapter members are our recent upgrades and Associates in
training, who have brought a wealth of talent and energy to the chapter.

Our Associates look forward to the day when their name is listed in our
chapter's music teacher ass'n. ad listing all our chapter RPTs, when they can
leave RPT Bookmarks on their clients' pianos, when they can purchase the new RPT
business forms and Service Records, and in general benefit from PTG's promotion
of RPT to the public.

>Perhaps reading the minutes from Council meetings would be beneficial--if
>they're available.

The October Journal supplement contains Council minutes, Bylaws, Committee
info., and Board minutes. This is mailed to all members every year.

Hope this sheds a little light on these questions.

Bill Spurlock