Occupational hazzards

David Porritt dporritt@sun.cis.smu.edu
Mon, 14 Nov 1994 17:10:31 -0600 (CST)

Every occupation has inherent hazards.  Medical people are exposed to
infections, firemen are burned, police are shot at.  Piano technicians are
abnormally prone to "curmudgeonism."  Perhaps it is a personality trait
that brings us into this business.  Perhaps it is the constant self
criticism that we must do to adequately hone our craft.

My wife has worked for our 32 years at keeping me from being a curmudgeon.
 She claims some success but admits to some failures.

Unfortunately our self criticism when developed, makes it easy to be
critical of others and their work.  We develop a good sense of what we
need to improve of OUR work, but when we think it is someone else's job we
just demean without examining what part we should have in the solution.
This job is mine to do well, that job is someone else's.

Bill Garlick's "diatribe" is a good example.  He may have some points, but
the fact that he admittedly has done nothing about it removes both his
right to criticize and his credibility when he does.

Anyone who has observed - as I have - Bill's poise in front of a class
will have a hard time buying the "sweaty palms" theory.

After 25 years of silently suffering through an unhappy marriage, you try
marriage counseling or even divorce.  You don't burn the house down!

The issue of the demise of the schools is kind of a "chicken and egg"
issue.  Did PTG's educational efforts harm the schools, OR did outside
elements harm the schools and PTG has tried to fill that vacuum?

The PTG examinations are not perfect, but in spite of the fact that there
is a standing committee to continually monitor and improve them, has Bill
participated in that committee?  Have I?

We DO need a Journal editor.  Hopefully soon we'll have one.

I have tremendous respect for Bill as a technician and even higher regard
for his teaching.  I've only been in a couple of his classes, but I have
learned a lot from him.  Having had this lofty view of him makes it even
sadder to see the bitterness unveiled by this unfortunate tome.

Dave Porritt, RPT
Southern Methodist University