Bechstein action parts

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Mon, 14 Nov 1994 10:17:59 -0600

At  4:05 PM 11/13/94 -0700, MarkEclark@aol.com wrote:
>Does anyone know where to get parts for the Bechstein piano, and if there's
>an inexpensive way.  Also - does any third-party maker make these parts
>within specs that measure up to originals?

Mark:
        I currently have a 1910 Bechstein in my private shop for a complete
new action.  You can get Renner parts from Lloyd Meyer but the wippens will
probably have to be special ordered from the factory.  I am still waiting
for my wippens, which should arrive today, but apparently I will have to
either modify the flanges or use the old ones because the new ones will not
work as is, they are too long.  I suppose that I could try and lower the
rail, but I would rather not because here that would be permanent.
Otherwise, the wippens are correct. The hammershanks and flanges will be
perfect, but you will have to buy the long     3 5/8" hammers and cut them
down to correct size, then do your own shaping.  This I have finished, and
I am pleased, it worked out nicely.  If yours is a much newer piano you
might have an easier match.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College
johnsond@stolaf.edu