Bill Garlick's Diatribe

twinter@mercury.sfsu.edu twinter@mercury.sfsu.edu
Wed, 09 Nov 1994 10:33:35 -0800

Ron,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to transcribe and distribute Bill
Garlick's "diatribe".  I hesitate to use the word "diatribe", because I did
not find it to be either bitter or abusive, though others may think
differently.  In fact, I found it refreshing.  We may question Bill's motives
for writing it, but the points he makes are still valid.

This document generated a most interesting conversation with Max, the other
piano technician here.  I have become increasingly more uncomfortable with the
PTG over the last few years, as I seem to be getting less and less from the
organization. I have often questioned whether this is the result of a trend in
the Guild or my maturing as a technician and thus needing less from the
organization.  Max attended PTG meetings in the early sixties, and remembers
them as a group of professional piano technicians sitting around, consuming
coffee and donuts, and discussing issues of importance to them: the IRS,
business licenses, who was willing to tune birdcages, who was willing to do
shopwork for other technicians, and all the latest information on sources of
materials and supplies.  In short it, was a support group, not unlike this
forum.  There were never chapter technicals; those were presented at the
regional and national conferences.  Even when I joined the PTG ten years ago,
a little of this collegial atmosphere remained, though usually it occurred in
a bar across the street after the meetings.  Alas, now it is all but gone.

When viewed on a scale of thirty years, there is no question that the guild is
changing and it raises the question of whether it is continuing to serve the
needs of the professional piano technician.

Tom Winter
San Francisco State University