PTG chapter organization

Rick.Florence@asu.edu Rick.Florence@asu.edu
Tue, 01 Nov 1994 09:53:26 -0700

>On Mon, 31 Oct 1994 Rick.Florence@asu.edu wrote:
>
>> To all PTG members who have at some time been elected, railroaded, bribed,
>> coerced or blackmailed into serving in local chapter leadership positions.
>>
>> I have recently looked into our chapter finances and was shocked at how
>> much money is beening sucked up every year ($600) to enjoy(?) whatever
>> priviledges that come with beeing a for-profit corporation. I understand
>> that this corporation was instituted out of a threatened law suit years ago
>> from a local tuner.  The feeling was that there would be some sort of
>> protection under a coporation.
>
>        Rick: If your are concerned about the legalities involved, perhaps
>you should contact a LAWYER...just as we all recommend a TECHNICIAN to
>those asking specific questions concerning pianos. : ) Although a
>university employee, I still do some private work and consequently still
>have the liability insurance offered as a group policy through the PTG.
>It offers $1,000,000 liability, as well as other options including tools,
>pianos while in your shop and while being moved, etc.
>
>> I don't feel that this corporate protection really exists any more. In
>> talking with Mary at the home office I found that very few chapters are
>> incorporated.  She sent me some papers regarding setting up a non-profit
>> status but couldn't give me any information of how most chapters are set
>> up.
>>
>> Before I take on the position of the new kid who wants change, I would like
>> to know how other chapters set up.
>>
>>         Are you incorporated?
>>         Are you a non-profit organization?
>>         Are you paying professional service fees to file papers and tax
>>returns?
>>         If non of the above, how do you handle finances (taxes etc.)?
>>         What are your chapter's feelings about the risks of law suits, and
>>how
>>         do you deal with it?
>
>        I suppose we could, through some twist of fate, all end up liable
>for all kinds of scary things, but we've managed to avoid any SERIOUS
>legal hassles thus far. (To my knowledge) Of the several chapters I have
>personally been a member in, none allowed monies to be spend without some
>sort of chapter approval/vote. A yearly statement of chapter
>income/expense report is also advisable.
>
>> I would appreciate any input/advice. > > ---- > Rick Florence, Piano
>>Technician
>>  Arizona State University School of Music
>>  Internet: Rick.Florence@ASU.Edu
>>  Phone (602)965-6760
>>  Fax (602)965-2659
>>

>       "IT'S NICE TO BE NICE TO THE NICE" MAJOR FRANK BURNS*4077TH MASH
>                     __________________________________
>                   jminor@uiuc.edu//university of illinois

John,

Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well - something that I seem to do all
too often.  My intention is not to seek legal advice from this group.  I
indeed have spoken to a Lawyer.  Our chapter does vote on a yearly
statement of income/expences.  I simply don't like what I see and before I
shoot my mouth off wanted to get a feel of what other chapters are doing
and what problems and/or solutions they have to offer.

Thanks for your reply.

----