Richard West wrote:

BRENT.FISCHER@asu.edu BRENT.FISCHER@asu.edu
Fri, 23 Dec 1994 10:01:18 -0700

On Wednesday Dec. 21, 1994 Richard West wrote:

>When it comes down to it, you can't beat a new piano.

The reality of this somewhat self-righteous and truthful statement Richard
has said is what I hope is beginning to change the approach of many serious
rebuilders. Why rebuild a fifty-year old piano that when done well will end
up costing more than a medium priced grand piano?

Grand pianos in the price range between twelve and eighteen thousand
dollars are generally a good buy and come with a warranty and hopefully
dealer integrity.
Unless it is a Steinway my advice usually to buyers is to shop for new
instead of old. In my opinion, a properly rebuilt Steinway is *unbeatable*,
although without the correct factory parts I could not attain performance
results. The majority of rebuilt Steinways I have seen do not measure up to
the expected standard of performance touch and tone requirements. It is not
easy to achieve.

Rebuilding criteria for the average seventy-five year old Steinway B in our
shop includes new soundboard and bridges. New Steinway bridges can be
ordered. They come with oversized caps requiring the setting of downbearing
and typical bridge procedures. The advantage is the bridge comes with a new
crown and one does not have to worry about any voids in the old root which
can be a difficulty when dealing with an old bridge.  We use Steinway
wrestplanks for authenticity and
their quality although the Bolduc block is just as good. Careful reshaping
of the V-bar and front duplexes along with new agraffes and new rear duplex
scales
should yield superior results. Don't forget schraffed bass strings from Mapes.

Actions: Keep the keyframe and topstack frame and chuck the rest. Probably
could keep the sostenuto rail and mounting brackets.  A quality job of
refinishing with new hardware for the case and  an injection of the curse
of perfectionism
for your craftsmanship and you can and will have surpassed new piano standards.

There are countless rebuilding shops working on the edge of survival. If
the results of the work don't measure up to new piano standards the
customer may have doubts later about their decision to having their piano
rebuilt or having purchased a restored instrument.

I know there other unique issues in each individual piano evaluation
combined with the needs, budget, and expectations of the customer that need
to be taken into consideration, however, when performance expections are
the issue it is important to leave no stones unturned.  I hope my
rebuilding colleagues continue to raise their standards so our unique
corner of the industry thrives and survives.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year!

Brent.Fischer@ASU.EDU
Arizona State University/Tempe