December Dan Levitan

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Wed, 14 Dec 1994 22:26:48 -0500

<<Levitan's article is quite involved and requires that one
actually labor to absorb its worth (that's not a complaint).>>

You bet. I'm suprised to see him get into the math. Up to now it had been for
the lay "tooner", to show him that there was in all this talk of
inharmonicity, some predictable order of things that we could expect and
count on, and with that, ceratin rules of thumb about what we were likely to
encounter in that jungle. I'm still digesting the distinction between primary
and secondary inharmonicity. But it's a sine qua non. Primary will not show
up when we or the pianist listen to a tuning. (.....unless of course we're
talkin' your "Memphis Belle" Winter Corp 1950 Ivors&Pond). Secondary will and
must be managed by us in the tuning.
But his procession to the mathematical "parallel dimension" is in the pure
show-me spirit. People used to complain about the numbers from Baldassin,
Sanderson, Fairchild, et al. But these same pioneers are now following Dan's
series, and have their hand on the telephone, ready to secure Dan's
mathematical proofs.
BTW did you see the dead white guy on the cover?
; )
Mr. Bill (Ballard)