A44?

Newton Hunt nhunt@gandalf.rutgers.edu
Fri, 02 Dec 1994 08:46:15 -0500 (EST)

      I was nearly finished with the tuning when the performer walked in
and asked if the piano was at 442.  I replied that house policy was 440 and
that is where it is.  She said, "But my marimba is tuned to 442."  After
viewing the piano a moment and contemplating the work in volved I replied,
"If you place $100.00 cash folding money on the tuning pins I will be most
happy to accomodate you."  "SO MUCH?"  "Yes."  "Leave it."
      As an outside job I take care of the S&S D at the State Theatre which
is a concerted and restored 1930's movie theatre with superb accustics and
established the following policy before the grand opening concert.
      I hope someone can use it or part of it.

                   HOUSE  PIANO  POLICIES

All questions regarding the piano must be referred to the State
Theatre Director of Operations, Chris Butler, at 908-247-7200 or to
the house technician, Newton Hunt at 908-545-9084 or 908-932-
6686.

These policies are established for the protection of the piano and to
assure its longevity and availability for the next performer.

Standard house pitch is A440.

Requests for nonstandard pitch will incur an additional $120.00
charge above the regular tuning fee.  A pitch change requires two
tuning for the different pitch and two tunings to return the piano to
standard A440.  Neither the tuner, the house nor the next performer
shall be required to assume that additional effort.

Nonstandard pitch will not, in any circumstance, exceed A442.  Any
need for a pitch above A442 must be satisfied on another
instrument.

No one, including a non-house technician, may work on the
instrument without the prior approval of the house technician except
in the event of an emergency.  An emergency is defined as a repair
required to return the piano to playable condition.  (Broken string,
key, pencil in the action, etc.)

No one, except a qualified technician, may modify or place anything
inside the house instrument, in any manner whatsoever, for a
"prepared piano" performance.  Musicians or other performers are
not to be considered qualified, irrespective of their keyboard
performance competence.

The piano may not be used, by guests, musicians or stage crew as a
storage surface, work space or table, even with the cover in place.

No one may place food, drink, smoke, flowers, tools or other items
on, in or above the piano.  All such indulgences will be placed beside
the instrument.

Intentional or negligent damage to the instrument will incur repair,
rental or replacement charges to the individual or group responsible.

The piano tuner must be accorded sufficient time, climatic stability,
safe lighting and especially quiet.  Please note that, inherently,
tuning quality is inversely proportional to noise and other stage
activity.  Scheduled tuning time must be adhered to otherwise a
standby charge will be invoked after the first 15 minutes.

Standby charges are $9.00 per 15 minute segment.

Everyone's cooperation is greatly appreciated.

                     THE  HOUSE  PIANO
                     TUNER/TECHNICIAN

The house piano tuner will:
     Be responsible for maintaining the pianos at performance
quality at all times.
     Be on time as agreed upon with the Director of Operations.
     Provide the highest quality work consistent with the situation.
     Be supportive of the artists.
     Be available, as needed, consistent with the needs of the
instrument or artist.
     Provide alternative technical support when necessary.
     Advise the house manager when maintenance or other work is
required.

                       Newton J. Hunt
                   Piano Tuner-Technician
                       74 Tunison Road
                   New Brunswick, NJ 08901
                     (908) 545-9084 home
                     (908) 932-6686 work

               The  Piano  Technicians  Guild
                Members  Are  Obligated  To:

1.  Contribute to the vigor of musical life and activities in the
    communities in which they serve.
2.  Promote the integrity of, and good will toward, the tuning
    profession, musical performing arts and the entire musical industry.
3.  Upgrade their professional skills by study and attendance and
    participation in Chapter meetings, seminars, conventions and
    related activities.
4.  Cooperate in raising the general competence of the profession by
    advising and assisting fellow members who want to advance their
    knowledge and skill in piano technology.

         Piano  Technicians  Guild  Code  of  Ethics

1.  I will always conduct myself honorably in locations where I render
    service and in a manner which will reflect credit to the PTG.
2.  I will always keep the best interest of my client in mind.
3.  I will always render the best service possible under the
    circumstances.
4.  I will not advertize or otherwise imply or claim to the public that
    my method of tuning is inherently superior to other professional
    methods of tuning.
5.  I will not engage in unfair trade practices.
6.  I will not advertise in a manner so as to convey information that is
    misleading.

      Happy semester end tuning.
            Newton