Odds and Ends

Tcoates@aol.com Tcoates@aol.com
Fri, 02 Dec 1994 04:14:39 -0500

I've read with interest some of the recent discussions.

First, putting pianos in climate control boxes seems like a very good idea,
but check with the local fire marshall first.  I have seen the fire marshall
say "Take that piano out of that box or I'll shut this building down."  There
was nothing in the box but the piano, but fire marshalls are fire marshalls.
 This box wasn't climate control and oddly enough this piano has been better
off out of the box.  I don't care to speculate on why it is better off, I
just know it's touchy debating fire marshalls.  The codes are different in
every state, but one is wiser checking before investing in a climate control
box (piano garage).

Second,  I agree with Israel Stein that it is wrong for Damp Chaser to market
directly to piano owners.  It is like a drug company marketing directly.
 This has not happened in my area, but I am going to say something to Damp
Chaser next time I correspond with them.  Thank you for making me aware of
this.  Damp Chasers have been a life saver for me in this area of the
country, but they aren't for all pianos and situations.  Damp Chaser may not
realize they could be doing themselves (and piano technicians) a disservice
by trying to market directly.

Finally,  who is now in charge of the College and University Technicians
Newsletter?  Or hasn't that been decided.  I have some thoughts I wanted to
share in the newsletter, but nowhere to send them.

Tim Coates