[CAUT] [pianotech] Shank glue

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue May 8 14:51:51 MDT 2012

On 5/8/2012 3:20 PM, Anne Acker wrote:

> Hot hide glue has been proven to be fantastically strong, while being
> easily reversed (e.g. you might want to realign your hammer heads).

This gets mentioned almost every time the subject of hot hide glue comes
up. Having used the stuff since the mid 70s, it's my experience that
this isn't possible. Heating old dried glue, even if you could get
moisture into the joint, won't liquify hammer head joints enough to
adjust realignment. If it is possible, I'd sure like to see it done.

Ron N