[CAUT] [pianotech] Gen-u-whine Steinway parts:OT RANT

Paul Williams pwilliams4 at unl.edu
Tue May 1 16:07:11 MDT 2012

So why does Perlman use his coveted 1715 violin, and Yo Yo Ma use either
of his coveted ancient instruments ( he used one from 1817 last year here
for his concert at Lied Center) over anything produced today?  Is it just
the old school thought?

I'll check out the article tomorrow.I know how some people just can't have
anything but a Steinway made in the '20's, but I've heard a few recently
made or rebuilt that sound awesome..like one of our D's originally built
in the late '80's but now all rehab to a point, and sounded great for
several concerto's: Dare I say; It has Hamburg hammers!!!?? All else is
your regular " NY parts"...whatever that means anymore; Yes new Kluge
keys.

On a side note: I'm finishing up on the L that some people gave me grief
about. Yes, I  got the capstans perfectly in place and backchecks too,  no
thank you; you nay-sayers! (RN and another 1 or 2)) These are keys made by
a great maker in Oregon.  I'll back him up that his keys are just as
precise as Kluge's, if not better.  If it makes ya'll feel better, I used
the original 80 year old caps! As Steinway as I can get it.

Pisses me off that some people come on this site and think I can not do a
spectacular job when not having done something before: so to you
naysayers; I did it! I received spectacular shop education in the past,
have great woodworking and other shop skills, installed everything and
it's right on the money! Geometry is spot on, backchecks right on, and
it's coming along just fine!

I learned from some of the best in the business on hand who actually
cared, so I know what I'm doing even when alone.  I just asked for help
once in awhile; having never done something. I know how it works, just
needed a shoulder to lean on.

Thanks to you who helped me and to those of you who didn't; Well...you
know what to do.  You always do!

Thanks
Paul