[CAUT] Yamaha Exchange program; pros, cons

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Fri Jun 8 03:51:58 MDT 2012

Greetings,
    The Blair School has some P22's that were purchased in the late 1960's.  They are still in use, and they are still performing trouble free.  These are practice room pianos, and they have just,in the last 5 years, run out of  hammers and key bushings.   Things like dampers, pinning, pinblocks, bridges, trapwork are still doing fine.   I am amazed at their durability.  Maybe they think they are Acrosonics, I don't know.
    As far as grands, the C3 was the better choice for us, around the school.  Bean counters somehow managed to be sold a number of C2's in the mix, and now, 10 years later, the C2 pianos are obviously the more worn, plus a far greater amount of string breakage than the C3.  I don't why, but perhaps a scaling thing?  We have strings break all over school, even in some new Steinways, so it isn't specific to the brand.
    The Kawai K-3 models that we also have been buying seem to hold up well, also.  I will be curious to see how they handle a decade of digital debauchery , too.

Ed Foote RPT
http://www.piano-tuners.org/edfoote/index.html