[CAUT] Bösendorfer question

Edward Sambell esambell at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 31 10:20:55 MDT 2011

Jurgen's leather is calfskin; very good but 9mm wide, so I cannot use it on Herrberger Brooks keys, which require 7/16" (11mm) or the result is a crappy job.So check the width of the front bushing dadoes. I ended up getting deerskin from Michaels. It needed thinning, so I made a fixture for the drill press.It has superfine adjustment. I have an extremely sensitive owner and he could hear the original cloth bushings abrade on the pins. Over twenty years ago I changed one faulty front  bushing and used the Renner calfskin and it was much quieter. Of course, he wants this for the whole set. The note is in the high treble, and he noticed also that the key depressed from the tendency to side pressure more readily.

Ted Sambell

>Hi Alan,
tho on the pinsthose pins were 0.135"? again I am going from my faded
memory, in which case use 0.137 cauls.  Use hide hot glue, don't
push the caul all the way in and use a razor  to trim flush with the
top of the button.  Once trimmed push the caul down the extra 2 or 3
mm.
>You are correct about the glue and leather, very little wicking.
>When I have used the tan side to the pin, I've found it prone to
squeaks.

>The leather last at least 5 times longer.  I still bush the front
rail with cloth, it is quieter.  Because there is less key roll with
leather BR bushings the FR seems to also last longer.

>We have converted most of our instruments to leather and are very pleased
with the results. Level and dip appears more stable. We have not had to
re bush any of the leather converts, and a number of these pianos were
done 5 years ago.

>Expect a spirited discussion on tan in and tan out. The above is just my
experience. Probably there is no right answer. I use a small artist brush
to coat the nap in Teflon powder. It seems to stay put long enough for
the nap to lay down.

>The leather/maple button seems to be more stable with humidity
swings.

>Regards Roger
>

>At 01:59 PM 8/29/2011, you wrote:
>
>Hi Roger,
>>
>>Thanks for the input on key bushing with leather. Â Nap towards the pin,
eh? Â Not what I would have guessed (but I have zero experience bushing
keys with leather at the moment, so what do I know?). Â Do you use hot
animal hide glue?  Any special considerations (vs. bushing w/ cloth)?

>>If my memory serves me correctly I use 1.1mm.
>>
>>... which would be about .043". Â I suppose the appropriate
thickness of leather depends, as with cloth, on the difference between
the size of the mortise and the size of the key pins (less whatever needs
to be figured in for the glue line--and I imagine that leather will be
less absorbent of glue than cloth, particularly if the glue is applied to
the tanned side of the leather).

>>Have you found leather to last substantially longer than cloth? Â And as
it starts to wear, is there a way to resuscitate it (like there is with
cloth)?

>>Many thanks,
>>
>>Alan Eder

Forte he sells it in several thicknesses, 0.1mm increments. I use it with
the nap towards the pins, dusted with micro fine Teflon powder. No
squeaky leather.  If my memory serves me correctly I use
1.1mm.

>>Regards Roger
>>

>>At 12:00 PM 8/29/2011, you wrote:
>>
>>Hi Ted,
>>>I will be rebushing with leather.
>>>
>>>I am about to rebush a set of keys with leather, a first-time
experience for me. Â Any tips you would be willing to share?

<esambell at yahoo.com>

.135". In fact I am doing one now, and it too has .135" on both
rails. I will be rebushing with leather. The keys are made by Herrberger
Brooks (UK) but this size seems to be common with European
pianos.

<smkroeker at shaw.ca> To: caut at ptg.org
>>>Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2011 1:26:03 PM
>>>Subject: [CAUT] Bösendorfer question
>>>Hello all,
>>>
>>>Have just received a set of Bösendorfer keys from a colleague for
rebushing and am worried that the keypin diameters may not have been
measured accurately.  Is anyone able to share these specs?