[CAUT] recital policy

Dennis Johnson johnsond at stolaf.edu
Mon Mar 29 07:53:44 MDT 2010

I would say the same situation applies here for the most part also.  The
only thing I might add is that over time basically those involved with each
event have gradually come to expect that it will be my responsibility to
decide exactly what is necessary to provide a satisfying piano, given the
limits of access.  It is often impossible to tune immediately before a large
event as one might expect.

I think my first year also was the only time I went out during intermission
for a faculty recital. If I remember correctly that wasn't even about tuning
but something happened to one of the dampers.  Afterward another faculty
member implied, or suggested that maybe I was asserting myself
inappropriately, or whatever.... "This wasn't my recital."  I could not
believe it, ....but I never did that again.

I do try and at least check pianos being used on the day of, except for
weekend student recitals and ensembles with non-prominent piano use also on
weekends. As much as possible I make sure pitch adjustments are never done
the day of an important piano event, and I think that partly explains why we
are able to have more solid work these days as Kent suggests.  In the past
departments did not have the luxury of that level service.

cheers,

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College

_______