[CAUT] The fundamental - Where is it?

Donald McKechnie dmckech at ithaca.edu
Fri Mar 26 09:49:26 MDT 2010

List,

I have been having a discussion with some of my fellow local techs
about the fundamental and what we hear in the low bass. We agree that,
at least on larger pianos, the low strings produce the fundamental but
we differ on whether or not the rest of the belly system can produce
even a recordable fundamental.

My assertion is that a 9' grand can produce a recordable fundamental
if you have the right equipment. I'm trying to find something in
writing to produce evidence of this but no luck yet. I'm not finished
searching Del's "Piano Tone Building" and I hope something might be
found there. Del, can I find it in the book?

Perhaps some of the soundboard savvy folks on this list can help me
win this argument? After all, there is a 6 pack of quality beer on the
line! :-)

Don

Donald McKechnie
Piano Technician