[CAUT] Appropriate Piano for Small Recital Hall

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Thu Mar 25 09:04:28 MDT 2010

All,

I agree with Don, and he is not only a world class technician, but a fine pianist.

The notion of "the size of the piano must be relative to the size room" cannot be the foremost justification for why we select a piano. Following that reasoning wouldn't we have 4' pianos for practice rooms and 12' pianos for 3000 seat halls? While I'm being a bit ridiculous, my point is that the smaller piano isn't the "same" as a full size grand, is it?? My clients that have 9' pianos along with other smaller sizes much prefer their 9' for recitals. (Granted, I only have a few clients with both.) Don's post is also my experience.

Respectfully,
Jim Busby BYU and Snow College

In my opinion, it is always best to have a concert grand for a recital
space, no matter how small.

A well set up concert grand will have the control necessary to not
overpower the room.  If voiced and regulated appropriately, the full
tone will give performers a much wider palette of sound to work with,
and that range of tone from ppp to fff across the scale is what makes
the pianist happy!

I have serviced many concert grands in peoples living rooms, and they
were wonderful when voiced appropriately.

Don Mannino