[CAUT] Appropriate Piano for Small Recital Hall

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 24 18:18:46 MDT 2010

Something similar happened with guitar strings over the 20th century. They
became brighter, more high tensioned. There's some nice rediscovery of 19th
century guitars and strings happening lately.

I wonder if piano pedagogy, especially graduate piano pedagogy, tends to
favor plowing through large amounts of repertoire rapidly rather than a
quiet examination of the more intimate details of timbre and articulation
which can be lost in the big beasts. The big hall, big piano is the
assumption rather than the exception.

Ed S.