[CAUT] Appropriate Piano for Small Recital Hall

Laurence Libin lelibin at optonline.net
Wed Mar 24 17:44:37 MDT 2010

Yes, I see your points. Still. it's interesting how addicted Americans are
to 9' s -- like macho SUVs?  Plenty of European recital halls do fine with
smaller grands, or at least quieter ones than Ds. Tuning aside, how much has
9' preference to do with inferred prestige or (pardon the pun)
self-aggrandizement? Maybe European audiences are more sophisticated, or
more appreciate intimacy? Not a safe generalization, I know, but still . . .
.

Speaking of coherent sound, it seems to me that performers and listeners
today tend to like assertive modern pianos precisely because their ovetones
are intentionally, inescapably incoherent; lighter-strung, lower-tension
grands with more in-tune partials sound dull to them because they're not
used to harmonicity. Similarly with high-tension steel strings rather than
gut on violins.

Laurence