[CAUT] Appropriate Piano for Small Recital Hall

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Mar 24 12:46:58 MDT 2010

On Mar 24, 2010, at 10:05 AM, Don Mannino wrote:

> In my opinion, it is always best to have a concert grand for a recital
> space, no matter how small.

	I agree. Though concert could be defined as more or less 7' +, a 9'
piano will have, if nothing else, a better bass sound. Projection and
volume are not necessarily more than a smaller piano, at least in the
ears of the audience (bigger board moves more air, but voicing and the
mix of partials is more important to how the audience perceives it).
As long as it is voiced appropriately, I'd go with the D in your
situation. Your students should have the opportunity to play on a 9'.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu