[CAUT] [pianotech] Shoe peg

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Mar 19 22:57:59 MDT 2010

paul bruesch wrote:
> Novice question here...
>
> I've heard quite a bit about shoe pegs here on pianotech... is a shoe
> peg long grain or end grain? I'm guessing long grain because toothpicks
> or hammershanks are much easier to get, so there must(?) be a reason to
> carry "one more thing".

Long grain.

Shoe pegs, veneer, leather, paper towels, toothpick or
cardboard, all work. All require glue of some sort. Just
sticking something in the hole and cranking in the screw will
justifiably earn you the "boils on the butt" curse from the
next tech who has to dig out the splinters and try to come up
with a workable recovery.

Been there, and been there, and been there...
Ron N