[CAUT] Piano Cuneiform

McCoy, Alan amccoy at ewu.edu
Thu Mar 18 11:02:32 MDT 2010

Here are most of his markings. Really quick, very easy and intuitive. He has already done whatever low shoulder voicing for volume and body (what he calls "texture") that he is going to do. So he uses these marks to indicate string-by-string where the stringy, pingy strings are for high shoulder needling (almost on the strike point) with his 5-needle voicer. He moves fast as he works with the felt mute to isolate strings for pings. As I watched and listened he skipped over some notes that at first sounded to me like they needed work, but on further listening these were notes that were hammer/string fitting problems rather than pingy, metallic problems. He didn't make any marks for these fitting problems because he knew he'd take care of them later.

Alan

-- Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington University
amccoy at ewu.edu