[CAUT] Piano Cuniform

McCoy, Alan amccoy at ewu.edu
Wed Mar 17 15:20:31 MDT 2010

I forgot to create this. I'll do it tonight and post tomorrow.

Alan

From: David Stocker <firtreepiano at hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:46:15 -0700
To: CAUTlist <caut at ptg.org>
Subject: [CAUT] Piano Cuniform

One of the first things Ulrich did after pulling the action and placing it atop another piano (covered) was to take off the keystop rail, and sand the top of it. He said something about liking everything to look clean. At that moment it seemed extreme, but it turned out that was exactly where he made all of these marks. At the end of every pass of voicing, he would run his first finger and thumb over the keystop rail to erase all of the markings. Because he had made it smooth, it came clean easily.

I think he made marks on the front of the rail to denote needling lower on the hammer, towards the top for higher up on the shoulder.

David Stocker, RPT
Tumwater, WA