[CAUT] I've had it!

Shelley srbanders at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 8 07:14:22 MST 2010

It is very good to hear all of this from you guys!  I thought my situation
was bad!  NOT REALLY,  we all have stressful times, recitals pile up, have
to work weekends, accidents happen, people are narrowly focused on their own
lives, performances, rehearsal schedules.  I think in Paul's case with the
group coming in and talking over his touch up, some information sharing at
that time is necessary.  I've been able to successfully quiet down a group
of unplanned players for at least long enough to do a good touch up.  One
must simply and firmly ask for their help so that the job can be done.  They
pass the word as people come in,  when there is a loud one, I will speak up
again, saying I really need X more minutes of silence!  They get the picture
quickly.

Bottling up your irritation and meekly leaving with the job unfinished is
the sure way to ulcers and it lets others form the impression that you don't
think your position is as important as theirs is.  NOT SO!  Be firm,
educate, ask for their help, do what you can and don¹t sweat what you
cannot.  Be more understanding of their lack of automatic consideration.
They are not idiots, simply other actors in this very fast paced musical
world that we have chosen to join into and are really very fortunate to be
in!!

Shelley