[CAUT] Action Modifications (was:Shimming the Steinway Action Stack)

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Mar 6 13:11:47 MST 2010

This is a weekend for alterations. It turned out that on the
1023 O, the top treble section action spread went from
4.415 to 4.440. The first treble section was 4.415.
Every other section require a single strip of sandpaper
shim to  bring the spread to 4.415.

Attached is a photo of the shim and reconfigured rep spring

Since there are 16mm radius knuckles, 4.440 overall
would not be best. Had there been a 17 mm radius,
i could get that bigger spread. I'll just be content with
a more even spread than it had before.

On the spring assist wippens (Tokiwa), I have to reposition
the repetition lever adjustment screw. It is not square and
pressing the felt on an angle. This will cause future adjustments
to be problematic. I'll also be making new assists springs with
a longer arm for the hook end. It is straining too much in
the rest position. Also a longer arm will maintain a more
even tension during the excursion of the wippen by a
better excursion of the loop.
--

Regards,

Jon Page