[CAUT] Material data safety sheets

G Cousins cousins_gerry at msn.com
Fri Mar 5 13:32:31 MST 2010

Fred,

I have a three ring binder with clear plastic inserts and alphabetica separators which store all the msds sheets for the various chemicals past & present in the shop. The front and binding edge are labeled with a LARGE   MSDS Sheets.  At my previous empolyer, the inspectors came around twice to review shop procedures and equipment compliance. Both times there were only minor issues.  I believe that just seeing the book led them to believe I was in compliance with that aspect as they never asked for specific sheets on specific materials.

Every manufacturer is required to provide (free) the MSDS sheet for their chemical comopsition and the majority have them available online at their web sites.

In actuality the MSDS data is more critical as a quick reference for how to respond to spills, accidential ingestion, medical concerns etc. in the workplace not complying with paperwork.

IMO a more critical issue is to be certain that any and all flammables are in a fire proof/ osha approved storage cabinet. This is where psople can really get in trouble. Especialy if there is a fire.  They are available everywhere adn most likely the facilities dept has access to them. Yes they are very expensive but if my job is on the line, it's worth the expense to limit the agita.  Only issue on that subject is if you have stuff that you shouldn't be storing.

Hope this helps.

Gerry C

WCUPA