[CAUT] Material data safety sheets

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Mar 5 11:45:21 MST 2010

	University policy requires that I have on file material data safety
sheets for all, meaning really all, chemicals. Not that anyone has
come looking, but it is clearly policy and that is probably true for
most of us. Does anyone know of a fairly central place one can go for
such things? Does anyone have a collection of them that could be made
available?
	Since we all use a lot of the same range of materials, it would make
sense for us to pool efforts. Going to each manufacturer is a lot of
work. Especially when it comes to all the variety. I'm looking at
things like isopropyl alcohol, fabric softener, lacquer, Cory Key-
brite, Mclube, Protek, various thinners, glues and adhesives of
various sorts, the list is seemingly endless. Some are actually toxic
in various ways, and the safety concerns are real.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu