[CAUT] Job?

Christopher Purdy purdy at ohio.edu
Fri Mar 5 11:20:47 MST 2010

Hey Jeff,

You have a good point about contract work.  It's not exactly clear how
the details are going to shake out.  What I know right now is that
they will give me 30 hours a week for ten months.  That's going to
come out to less than half of what I made this year and that ain't
going to pay the mortgage.  I will not be working over the summer,
which is when I got a whole lot of work done in the past.  When
everyone hits town next Fall and 114 pianos are 20 cents sharp,
there's going to be a bunch of screaming faculty.

You're also right about that fact that this is going on all over,
although the U. of Georgia figures you cite are incredible!  Here at
OU we have been cutting budgets for 10 years, the last five years had
deep cuts.  But this year is going to be epic.  The university is
cutting between 5-10% across the board in all colleges.  After cutting
for so many years, there is just nothing left to cut but jobs.  We may
even loose graduate degree programs.

Chris