[CAUT] Warning to you hosting the Van Cliburn gold medalist

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 3 09:40:52 MST 2010

Susan-

Yes! I use this technique, too, when the artist asks for "just a little more" on a few notes, or to "bring up this section just a little bit." (I use a fat mute held on the string to take the impact.)

Over the years I have developed my kit of quick voicing touch-up techniques, and it is very, very useful in pleasing pianists.

It is amazing how congenial a nervous performer becomes when you listen and try to give what they ask for.

When we voice the piano, we are worried about creating a perfect continuity of sound. I've come to understand that the artist hears the piano in terms of the program to be played. It may be that the F#5 that sounds just right to the technician is a special, focused and exposed note that serves as an expressive peak in the program, so if the artist asks for more on that note, or una corda voicing on that note, I do my best to give it a little more, even if it sounds a bit uneven to me.

I grant that I am an amateur compared to many on this list, but for the few artists I serve, this approach seems to work.

Ed S.