[CAUT] Hammers

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Jun 25 11:00:37 MDT 2010

Are you sure it had Ronsen Bacon?  The early iterations of those pianos had
Abel hammers and they were too hard.  I spent some time out at the factory
with Del sampling some other hammers including Ronsen Bacon and Ronsen
Wurzen but I don't think they ever put either one of them into production.
Both he and I liked the Bacon hammer the best on that piano and that was
unadulterated (no lacquer) and no play in time.  They had an Abel hammer
made for them which, at the time, was about as soft a pressing as Abel was
able to do and it was still too much for that piano.  The powers that be
opted to maintain the Abel hammers.  The issue seemed to be defining who
they were in competition with for market share.  I think Del felt that this
piano was to be an alternative to a Steinway style tone, darker and warmer.
The folks at Walter (at least the marketing folks--I think Charles and Del
were on the same page) felt that Yamaha was their competition, sadly.  The
designs are very different in terms of scale tensions and accompanying
soundboard weighting.  The belly is very light and a soft hammer does a
terrific job with it.  A harder hammer (or a lacquered Bacon hammer perhaps)
would not show as well.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com