[CAUT] Hammers

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Jun 24 20:47:04 MDT 2010

I realize that there are a variety of approaches to lacquering and on a
standard belly it probably doesn’t make that much difference as long as the
solution is a reasonable strength.  On a standard Steinway belly you can
lacquer right over the top if you don’t mind needling out the zings that
form but you can still do it without any ill effects.  In the past I’ve
lacquered right over the top and then gone back and with a hypo oiler put
just a couple of drops of pure acetone on the very crown of the hammer to
reduce the zing.  Generally speaking that approach is ok as is wicking the
lacquer in from the shoulder or carefully applying it just over the top of
the wood core from the side of the hammer.  On these bellies, however, (and
Del should probably be consulted on the approach since he knows exactly what
he did) I’ve found that normal lacquer protocols can be dangerous.  I’m
thinking of an S&S O that I put a new belly in, total Fandrich design in
terms of soundboard and rib weighting and it got Ronsen Bacon hammers.
There is not one drop of lacquer on those hammers (and we know how soft they
are) and each time I visit that piano I’m voicing it down somewhat to suit
the customer whose taste does not favor an overly dark piano.  There are
other examples of pianos I've done (B's, L's, O's, M's).  It’s just that the
belly is so responsive that all it needs is that soft hammer to drive it and
develop the full range of partials. So a lacquering of any type not
carefully thought out in terms of this particular belly could create
problems.  On the D belly as described it probably tolerates a bit more
firmness or weight (or both) but still one should exercise caution.  On
standard bellies there's more leeway.  At least in my experience.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com