[CAUT] Hammers

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Jun 24 12:37:51 MDT 2010

On Jun 24, 2010, at 7:30 AM, David Love wrote:

> Also, with respect to lacquering
> in this case I would probably try an application of lacquer on the low
> shoulder where the Ronsen Bacon hammers can sometimes use some extra
> support.  That will help reinforce the structure of the hammer on a
> harder
> blow preventing it from collapsing as much and still keep the
> lacquer away
> from the higher shoulders and crown area where it can produce a
> negative
> outcome on this belly.

Or, in a very controlled way, apply it to the side of the hammer under
the crown - keeping at least 2 mm of felt on the outer surface
completely free of lacquer. You are after the core, giving hardness
there. A couple single needles deep afterwards is often a good idea.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Twain