[CAUT] Hammers

wbis290 wbis290 at aol.com
Wed Jun 23 18:39:58 MDT 2010

HammersHi Alan,

I would go with the Abel Select or better yet the Abel Special Press from Pianotek. The Special Press seems to have a little more of a rounded tone than the Select. I have found, though, that the Select has a little more power which sounds like that is what you need. I have tried S&S and worked with Renner Blues but have found the best results with the Abel Select and Abel Special Press. I have put these hammers on Steinways, a Mason & Hamlin CC. two Bechstein EN's, and a Baldwin SF. These hammers have given results that were better than I was hoping for. After 40 years in the business, I have found that I can get better results with the Abel Selects and Abel Special Press hammers than with anything else. It is great to hear people say what a great tone their Steinways now have and that they are hearing a tone that they could not hear before. After the installation of the Abel Specials on the two 9' Bechsteins at ONU, we have had people who normally prefer Steinways tell me t
 hat they liked the Bechsteins better. Hope that this might be a little help to you. May you be able to get the D to where you would like it.

God bless

Bill Balmer, RPT
Ohio Northern University and the University of Findlay