[CAUT] steinway agraffs

Garee, Anne E. agaree at admin.fsu.edu
Thu Jun 17 11:34:14 MDT 2010

James,
The broken agraffe repair starts with the preparation of the stem left
behind in the plate.  Use a conical stone bit in a Dremel tool to create
a crater in the surface of the stem paving the way for a small drill
bit. Drill an appropriately sized hole for a small screw extractor used
in a tap wrench and unscrew the broken stem.  Tapping on the screw
extractor to get a decent bite into the brass will also serve to break
loose the tight hold of the cast iron (the stem can also be soaked in
liquid wrench for awhile to loosen).  If this fails (and sometimes it
does), Pianotek sells a wonderful kit to enlarge the existing plate hole
which will then accept a threaded insert for a new aggraffe. A great kit
to have on hand.  Hope this will help.
Anne

Anne Garee, Program Director for Piano Technology
Florida State University College of Music
122 N. Copeland Street
Tallahassee, FL 32306-1180
850-645-7873
agaree at fsu.edu