[CAUT] Press vs Stab voicing (was Re: The Importance of "Subject:")

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sun Jun 13 16:39:19 MDT 2010

That's what Wally Brooks showed us on pre voicing the Naturals on the
medium shoulder area.  Stab, not hard, straight down instead of toward the
moulding.  It does work.

I'm still not sold on stabbing vs. pushing.  I do neither, but rather a
definate push/stab....sort of inbetween the two.  I also only use one
needle...a usual #6 or 7.  It takes a bit longer, but I feel I can
control/feel  more of what's going on.  With final voicing, I am very
gentle, only pushing a single needle just a bit in  and then listening. Of
course, this means pushing the action in and out many times.

How do you all do the really fine final voicing, especially near or (dare
I say (which I do) on the crown itself?)

Paul