[CAUT] Press vs Stab voicing (was Re: The Importance of "Subject:")

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Jun 12 17:29:35 MDT 2010

On Jun 12, 2010, at 2:59 PM, David Love wrote:

> In these situations forgo the rule about no crown voicing and just
> deep
> needle all the way around the hammer including directly into the
> crown.

	For those extra hard pressed hammers that nothing will penetrate, one
method that often makes a positive difference is use of #10 or #12
needles across the crown. I have posted photos earlier of  the tool I
use, which spaces the needles 1 to 2 mm apart, four or five of them,
protruding 3 or so mm. I have added a simple but effective handle
(photo attached).
	I usually do three passes, one at an angle toward the player, one
away, and one directly into the crown. I find this is particularly
effective in the high treble, where use of a #5 or #6 needle really
tears up the felt, but the little needles penetrate and cause very
little damage - but do take away the nasty ping attack sound.
	The little needles also can help open up shoulders for larger needles
to penetrate deeper. They press in quite readily. Caveat: don't "roll"
the tool in the felt, press straight in. Those little needles are easy
to break, but are plenty strong if pressed straight.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"I am only interested in music that is better than it can be played."
Schnabel