[CAUT] Press vs Stab voicing (was Re: The Importance of "Subject:")

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Jun 12 12:51:16 MDT 2010

On Jun 11, 2010, at 8:39 PM, Jim Busby wrote:

> Remember Wally's class where he said an electron microscope showed
> that the very tip of a needle is about 30 times the size of a wool
> fiber diameter? This means simply that felt is cut whether you stab
> or push. Mute point either way. Is that right?

	Yes, felt fibers will be cut or torn either way. The variable is
speed. Take a not too sharp grass whip and vary how fast you swing it.
At fast speeds, you mow down the grass, even if the whip is rather dull.
	I don't think there is much actual "cutting" going on with needles in
felt, more tearing, but again it is speed, and whether the fiber has a
chance to slide out of the way, or the impact is so fast it simply
breaks..
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu