[CAUT] New Renner hammers

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Jun 12 04:29:56 MDT 2010

Hi Jim

I have a suspicion that Renner releases new variations in Germany first,
and then they get released onto the US market.  I remember the origional
Wurzen hammers when they came out, and these were followed not to long
after with a version of the Blues in the US.  I worked with many such
European sets, and have had my hands on a couple sets of Blues.... just
handling them in my fingers. I don't personally believe there was a
knats hair of difference, tho André swears there was. The thing is tho,
that hammer manufacturers are as aware of all the mystic surrounding
hammers and piano sound as anyone and use that for what its worth.

The Japanese were really into this bit about peeling layers off when I
was there some years back... but my own experience tells me that some
hammers just wont file this way to begin with, and secondly it doesn't
make a hoot of difference anyways.  The SHAPE of the hammer tho most
definitely makes an impact... but we move real quickly into the
subjective realm of tastes when it comes to what shape works best with
what instrument.  For my part, find I get a much less brash sound from a
round shape on Yamaha conservatory instruments. (I dont run into many of
the G-series instruments and have yet to re-hammer an S serie grand).

I would think... that if cutting through layers on any hammer had any
real critical impact... it would be that set of Able hammers released
about a year ago... but thats just guessing.

I'll ask around about the similarities between the Weikert blues now in
the US and what we get here.... tho I gotta believe they are virtually
identical. Renner is struggling far too much economically to specialize
to the degree needed to make different hammers here and there.

Cheers
RicB

    Hi Ric,

    I'd like to verify if those are the same. See what you can find out.
    You are way ahead of us if that is the case, and your experience
    will be valuable! If what I learned about them is correct, making
    them "round" might cause you to cut through the felt layers instead
    of peeling them off like an onion. THe Weikert guys were adamant
    about not cutting through th layers... but it also negates the
    diamond shape if you do... Lots to learn here.

    Best,
    Jim