[CAUT] Steinway extra-bore-length

Mark Cramer cramer at brandonu.ca
Thu Jun 3 09:11:45 MDT 2010

Thanks for this David, it's a 200 seat recital hall with a lot of
presence. At the 800 seat auditorium next door, New York hammers are the
ticket, but in past years when the Renner Blues went through their own
ugly period, they were just too blatant for this intimate room.

I've used the Blues recently for a CF, and 1970's D that I did for a
large hall in the US, and they reminded me of the sound when these
hammers were first introduced, very satisfying at all dynamic levels.
They still needed more initial prep however than the handy little
voicing booklet they came with suggested, IMHO, anyhow.

I'm looking forward to sampling the Weickerts, and thanks for suggesting
several other good options.

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

PS Are we all aware that the latest Yamaha (CF-X?) has Wurzen-felt hammers?