[CAUT] Steinway extra-bore-length

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Jun 2 23:43:07 MDT 2010

I think there's a relationship between the hammer density and the string
scale and soundboard weighting, or there should be.  Personally, I try to
avoid biases that stem from comfortable habits if I think there might be a
better option in terms of outcome.  The smaller Steinway pianos are lower
tension, lighter weight boards and do well with a softer NY style hammer
with a modest amount of lacquer that is necessary to add the necessary
density and firmness.  The D is a different animal, different scale (much
higher tension), different soundboard weighting to match it (hopefully) and
needs a heavier and harder hammer especially for a concert venue.  Or you
can pump more lacquer into their standard hammer and if you know how to work
with them you can get a sound that is acceptable even good, at least for
awhile until the lacquer turns to stone and becomes unworkable and ugly,
which, btw, happens fairly quickly in terms of normal hammer life.   I don't
believe in a "signature" sound, at least not in the  way you suggest here.
NY D's have a wide range of tonal outcomes as do Hamburg D's.  A heavily
lacquered hammer, however, does have a recognizable sound (at least from the
bench, not sure from 30 rows back) and I think there are several reasons to
look for alternatives in spite of whatever difficulties there might be in
mastering the voicing skill.  I've heard many NY D's (and B's as well) with
Hamburg hammers that sound great and don't have the problems that are
inevitable with the amount of lacquer required to muscle up a NY hammer for
that particular piano.  My preference would be that NY produce a hammer with
a firmer pressing for the D (hammers can be pressed to varying degrees of
density) so that any lacquering necessary would be minimal in order to avoid
the eventual destruction that too many applications of lacquer ultimately
leads to.

As I mentioned below, that's just my opinion.  But unless you open your ears
to other options by sampling, you'll never know.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com