[CAUT] Knuckle Direction

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Jun 2 18:15:09 MDT 2010

My take is that it really doesn't matter, period. Once the action has
been played a few hours, the leather is nicely compressed, usually
glazed with some graphite and/or dirt (plus powdered teflon or
whatever else might have been applied to it), and whatever nap there
was in its pristine state has essentially disappeared: it is firmly
packed down. So functionally, after those first couple hours, there
simply IS no nap.
	With a used instrument, I find it next to impossible to determine
what the nap is (after brushing to get rid of the glaze and buildup of
whatever). Maybe with a microscope, but my fingers can't tell. So I am
unclear whether it actually does make a difference that all are the
same initially. Maybe, but you couldn't prove it by me.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/FredSturm